A kitchen can be home to many delicious meals for the family. But when the aromas of delicious food is overpowered by a smelly appliance or kitchen accidents resulting in burnt food, some family members may lose their appetite over the smell of kitchen mishaps. If you are trying to battle the smells coming from your garbage disposal, fridge, or burnt food then here are a couple of suggestions to keep the kitchen and home smelling sweet year around.
If you are looking to combat the fumes of cooking and erase the scent of burnt food try the following:
- In a small sauce pan mix 1 cup of water with 3 table spoons of white vinegar.
- Boil the solution for a couple of minutes. Since odors are alkaline and vinegar is an acidic this solution will neutralize the smell in the kitchen.
Regular attention is required to control the smell of trash in the kitchen or the unpleasant aroma can take over a kitchen easily. As soon as you get the first smell of the kitchen trash, empty the trash can and then use a wet paper towel to wipe away any debris that is stuck on the inside on the can.
The next step is to put an odor eliminator in the bottom of the can. Products such as OdorZout can be used to remove any remaining odors. If this is done at least once a week, you may be able to skip more frequent deep cleanings.
The Dreaded Sink
The sink can be a major factor in kitchen odors. The culprit is residual food scraps that build up over time in the disposal and pipes.
- Start by cleaning the disposal blades by grinding up ice from the freezer.
- Clean the rubber gasket – this can be a magnet for food debris. Make sure to give it a thorough cleaning by flipping it upside down and getting the underside also.
- De-stink the sink is pouring a ½ cup of baking soda down the drain while running warming tap water.
Quick Kitchen Tips
- Sprinkling salt on fresh oven spills you can turn a hard to clean up spill into an easy one.
- Wiping the area immediately will keep lingering odors to a minimum.
- Using an odor eliminating product such as OdorZout regularly is a great way to keep your kitchen smelling fresh and clean. This way you can be sure the only smells in the kitchen are the ones that you want.
During the holidays, the kitchen becomes a welcoming place for family and friends. Make sure yours is up to the constant stream of visitors.